Ready For Take Off
‘With Me Everywhere’ seems like a strange title in light of Covid and the fact that we just aren’t going as much as we used to. It has been picking up lately with things starting to reopen, but there are still a lot of restrictions. I know sometimes I would just rather stay home than deal with face masks and social distancing. Knowing that God is with us no matter what we are facing is however, very comforting – whether we are going or staying, He is with us.
Paul trusted God to be with him everywhere he went. God promised that he would get the chance to tell about Him in Rome and Paul trusted God to fulfill His plan for His life. Can I trust God to fulfill His plan for my life too? Can I trust Him to be with me whether I am at home, the doctor’s office and yes, even at the grocery store? No, I’m not Paul and I haven’t traveled everywhere telling people about Jesus, but still I know that God has a plan for my life and He will fulfill that plan. I know that He will be with me everywhere. No matter what problems I face, what challenges lie ahead or where I may be going, I can trust that God will be with me and will show me His plan day by day.
That truth was certainly tested in my life this summer as I had a series of unexpected deaths in my extended family. During the months of June and July, I traveled back and forth, over the mountains to my home town a lot. I found that God was with me every mile of the way. He gave me strength and really in spite of the circumstances, it was a time of celebration because all were believers in Jesus.
I’m still facing challenges. It’s part of life on planet earth. My challenge for this week is to hopefully get caught up with all that I got behind on this summer. I’m sure other concerns, other adventures and other destinations will arise. I may wonder, “Where do I go from here? Am I lost somewhere in my journey?”
or “God, what in the world do I do now?” Then I remember that God is with me everywhere. Knowing that puts worry into a different perspective. Why should I worry, when I can take everything to God, knowing that He hears me and walks with me?
Do you have something that’s on your mind? Something that is beyond your ability to figure out? God will be with you. Give Him your problems and frustrations because He is with you and He will help you. He has a big plan for your life. You can be certain, He will finish what He has started in you. When God says He will be with your everywhere, that means everywhere.
PARENT OR GRANDPARENT PRAYER:
God, I am so thankful that you are with me everywhere and that you will help me to fulfill the plans you have for my life. I know that your plan is a good one. Thank you for strength everyday whatever I might be going through. Show me how, like Paul, I can tell about you wherever I go. I know when I give my worries to you and trust you to guide me with your presence, that you will hear me and show me your will. I also pray that my children understand what it means to lean on you, to know that you’re with them no matter what. As I look back on my own life, the challenges I’ve faced, the sad times and the happy times; I see how you have walked with me. You are so faithful and so good. Thank you God. You are amazing! Amen
WHERE ARE YOU GOING?
Perhaps right now, you know God is with you, yes with you everywhere, but you’re not going anywhere. You’re asking, “Now what, Lord?” Here’s some ideas to get you started and to encourage you as you contemplate your journey.Not sure where you are going right now? Your plans have been disrupted and you are not sure how to pick up the pieces or how to deal with the new norm. Ask God. He knows. In fact He’s already been there. He will lead the way.
* After praying and asking God for direction, then set some goals for this next year or maybe just the next week. Let yourself dream a little. So the new norm looks different, get creative. Think of some ways to put fun into where you are at right now.
* Thank God for who He created you to be. Then step out on your journey with Him. Step out in faith and see where God takes you. Trust Him to get you there.
If He invited you on this journey, then you can be sure He will get you there.
LEARNING TO TUNE INTO GOD’S PRESENCE
* Start the day with a prayer. Welcome God into your day. Do this with your child as well.
* Ask God to give you an awareness of Him throughout the day.
* Be grateful. It’s easier to see God in your day when you remember to be grateful. Tell your child one thing you are grateful for and ask him/her something he/she is grateful for.
* Read the Word and listen to praise music. Your mind and soul feed on what you take in.Read a Bible Story to your child. I like one-sentence prayer with kids since their attention span is short, but how about interspersing short prayers throughout your day too – whatever you are facing.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH YOUR CHILD?
SHARE THE MAIN IDEA
KNOW: Jesus is with me everywhere.
TALK ABOUT: Following Jesus.
ASK: Who is with you wherever you go?Jesus is with me.
AND DO: Talk to Jesus wherever you go.
SHARE A STORY: Paul Goes To Rome – Acts 28
Paul and all the people from the ship found themselves safe on the shore of an island. The people on the island were kind to them and made a fire for them. As Paul gathered sticks for the fire, a snake bit him. Oh no! Even then Jesus was with Paul and he was not hurt.
While on the island, Paul told people about Jesus and prayed for sick people. (Fold hands like you are praying.) Paul continued doing the special job God had given him. Jesus gave Paul strength (Show muscles.) to do amazing things for Him.
After staying on the island for awhile, they were able to get on another ship and sail for Rome. Finally Paul reached Rome just as God said he would. Jesus was with Paul everywhere, giving him strength (Show muscles.) and helping him. Paul listened and trusted God. He lived for Jesus and finished the job God gave him to do. Because of Paul, many, many people came to know Jesus as their forever friend.
You can be strong like Paul and use your ‘God muscles’ (Show muscles.) to listen and tell others about Jesus. Talk to God everywhere you go. Jesus will be with you and help you. He will be your friend forever.
I know I can be strong because you will help me. I want to do what you want me to do as I grow up.Thank you that you are with me everywhere I go. I love you. Amen
MEMORIZE: Phil. 4:13 ERV – (Hold hands open as though holding a book.) Christ – (Point up.)
Is the one – (Show one finger.)
Who gives me the strength – (Show muscles.)
To do whatever – (Tap fists together.)
I must do – (Point to self.)
FUN THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR CHILD
* Keep a running conversation going with Jesus. One sentence prayers in the car, at lunch, while shopping, at nap time or in the bathtub are great ways to introduce your child to making Jesus a part of everything they do.
* Make a pretend map and follow it together. You might want to make it a treasure map and end by discovering a snack or a small surprise. Talk about how Jesus is with you wherever you go.